Skip to main content

Together and Forever



Day 21
Prompt: “Where have you been?”

The creaking of the porch swing lulled Lucy into a trance as she gazed out at the storm roiling in from the horizon. She reached a frail hand to the glass of iced tea beside her. A ring of condensation stained the chestnut tabletop, but her tired eyes barely took notice as flashes of lightning enraptured her.
She saturated her parched mouth with a cool gulp of her beverage. She used to hate the stuff; “muddy water,” she used to call it. But her late husband would drink jugs of it as young newly weds. Even on the day he passed, she could recall brewing an especially strong pitcher of tea.
Today would have been his birthday. 
And so she drank. Not out of enjoyment, but out of remembrance.
The ice clanked the sides of the glass as she set it back down, forming another ring. A warm breeze embraced her before moving on, kicking up a cyclone of dust down the driveway.
Her weary eyes played tricks. Her exhausted soul invited the respite. Her aging heart welcomed the illusion.
For as the dirt settled, her husband of youth walked up the gravel road and approached the porch steps. His wide smile flashed nearly as bright as the lightning zigzagging across the twilight sky. His eyes penetrated her core, sending chills of love down her spine.
She closed her eyes. She breathed in a deep sigh, pushing the vision from her mind. She saw through the mirage and wanted to enjoy an evening alone, free from the haunting of her husband.
But it wasn’t a vision. For just as real as she felt the warmth of the breeze passing by, she felt the heat of his fingers wrap around her hand. Her cheek felt the prickly kiss his bearded face always planted. She smelled the lingering cologne that encircled him. She could hear his enticing voice humming a tune only he knew.
She opened her eyes.
Her husband still stood before her, hand in hand. Youthful eyes lusted after her like they always did, for better or for worse.
“Where have you been?” She asked, avoiding his quirky smile. “It has been nearly thirty years. I thought you’d run off with someone or something.”
He sat down beside her, softly urging her head upon his shoulder with his bear-claw of a hand. She obliged, resting against him and watching the storm roil in like they used to.
“I’m sorry I was away for so long. You shouldn’t have had to wait like you did. Don’t worry, I’ll always be with you from now on. I promise. You and I are soul mates--together and forever.”
And so they were. As she drifted off into the slumber that shan’t be disturbed, her husband led her down the driveway. The sun shone through the storm clouds. The smell of rain wafted in from the horizon.
Lucy meandered in lockstep with her husband, humming the same tune of the distant chimes dancing in the breeze. Her hand in his. Together. Forever.

-(c) 2020 Kevin Barrick

Liked this story? Enjoy my collection of 30 flash fiction and support my endeavors in being an author!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Books to Get Your Creativity Flowing!

Many people are curious how I became an indie author. Some ask because they want to join in on the fun; others are simply curious why I chose to self-publish rather than go the traditional route. Before I really begin, let me define what it means to be an indie author. There are two categories that people generally fall into. An indie author is someone 1. who publishes through an independent publisher (small publishing house as opposed to mainstream houses like Penguin or MacMillan), and 2. who self-publishes through services like Amazon KDP (Kindle Direct Publishing) or Ingram Spark. I fall into the second category where I have self-published through KDP. It is a very easy process and anyone can do it! (Caveat: due to the easy access, there are thousands upon thousands of books. If you think your book is quality level, then in order to stand out from the rest I recommend spending hours and hours on your cover if you can’t afford to pay someone. Obviously proofread and edit you

"I Can't Breathe": A Tribute

I can’t breathe. I buried my face into my mother’s shoulder. Her warmth gave me comfort, but the sounds outside the doors of my church chilled my blood. I could hear the chanting of the angry mob. I could smell the gasoline being thrown onto the building. A place of refuge against the horrors of hatred now became the crematory of the innocent. Smoke blackened the night sky, and the fires devoured all that was holy. My eyes watered. My flesh burned. I watched the figures of white cloaks lurk beyond the window, drinking in the sight of my brothers and sisters, mothers and fathers each succumbing to a death of hungry flames and unbridled hatred. Is this a dream? I can’t breathe. I grasped at the chains digging into my skin. My stomach lurched in rhythm to the mighty waves outside the ship. Death wafted all around me as my brothers lay in their own waste, one upon the other like a heap of rubbage. The strong hands of our captors hauled out the dead at my feet, mumbling under their breath a

A New Human

The sounds of the fracas were muffled against the panic swelling in her mind. The swarming mob surrounding her blurred into one motion as the captain punched in the code to the garbage chute. The space crew cornered her, pressing her into the small room, emptied clean since the last vacuum-drop. Despite the fact every noise on the space ship sounded like she was floating out there in the void, she could hear the jabs of their insults and the searing pain of their ridicule. She was the pariah of the ship. Somehow, her efforts for the sake of humanity were misconstrued as being crimes against humanity. And as such, her punishment was anything but lenient. The outrage snaked throughout the entire spacecraft, especially the Medical Bay. The chute doors closed in front of her, officially silencing the fray of the outcry that continued to rise opposite the glass panes. She placed a hand against the window, bracing herself as the sounds of a piercing alert reverberated against the b