Skip to main content

What More Could I Want? (Flash Fiction)

 


            My toes waded in the cool waters of the cove. I breathed in the scents that could only be experienced in this small part of the world. The moss on the rocks behind me. The upturned soil in the field where creatures burrowed about looking for their next meal. The droplets of dew that fell from the brightly green leaves of various giant plants jutting forth from the ground like some victors of a desert race, for in fact that was what they were. Strange, lonely winners unknown to the barren world around them. I was their guardian. Their keeper. Their gardener. I alone knew of this hidden oasis, buried beneath the sands of time, neglect, and radiation.

            It was always funny to me the way the others of this dying world would fight over land and wares until there was nothing left for which to wage war. My entire existence, I have always chosen peace over violence. This left me with nothing, so it made no difference if I scrabbled and clawed in defiance like my fellow people or if I simply walked away. For nothing is nothing and there is no difference in the end.

            However, it was I who now wielded the key to this garden. I was he who nurtured the life thriving outside the scope of human predators. Though they took everything, I still had this place. This sanctuary. Nothing was nothing, except when nothing leads to something.

            Daily I ponder the steps that have led me to these waters, and the ageless question remains. A question that has been asked to every child from birth and to every adult until death: What is the best thing found in nature? No one ever could answer justly, for what is beautiful in the drab gray of our decaying planet? What joy can be derived from the parched land across which we endlessly trudge and toil in our vain pursuit of a survivable home?

            Should anyone ever discover this place, they would undoubtedly proclaim this garden to be the best thing found in nature. This gem would be their answer at last. They would rise up to claim it as their own, trampling out the very beauty they wished to seize. Once the dust would settle, they then would erect barriers to keep out anyone who might steal it from them, harming even more of the scarce life struggling to thrive.

            It would be chaos. It would be death.

            Nevertheless, my own answer would not be the same as theirs, even after seeing the radiating glory in every corner of this paradise. I would not place the label of the greatest thing in nature here, for there is an even greater mystery beneath the face of the waters that even I had not known for quite some time.

            I slid into the water and sunk to the bottom. Deeper I went until the light of a tiny orb pierced the darkness. My lungs began to burn, but I pressed on. Downward. Until every last bubble of air shot out of my mouth and my fingers finally touched the warm surface of the orb. I traced the letters etched all around it in an unending string of languages.

            “Breathe in.”

            I placed my palm on the only part I could understand and drew in a sharp breath. This is the greatest thing in all of nature. Somehow, buried beneath the waters of a hidden garden, I found a door to a new world. A door locked shut until someone followed the instructed and inhaled their final breath underwater. Or at least so they would assume. I have done this five times so far, and never has it been my last.

            Rather, a shimmering light bursts from an even deeper orb, beckoning me. But I’m afraid. I fear that once my fingers slip off the intricate carvings, I will lose the ability to breathe underwater, and then that will be my last breath.

            So, I admire this beauty from afar. This greatest thing. I allow it to be. The garden above is enough pleasure to me in the face of this desert world. As long as I stay here, I shall never know of thirst or hunger or pain again.

            What more could I want?


In the Steps of the Queen, a magical short story.

Available now for only 99c!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Witches: A Salem Retelling

We were hunted for our spells. They accused us of using black magic; they torched our sisters for their involvement in witchcraft. Our flesh burnt while children and other villagers watched through the haze. We were monsters, deviants, devil-worshipers. We were the bane of the sanctity of our village. We were humanity’s last hope. Salem was a hallowed land, endowed by the auras of the ancient ones to protect the world from the dark void that threatened to devour all life. The void vacuumed the life from our sister planet, Mars, several centuries ago. Only we witches knew of the fate of the ancient world. We saw through the cosmos and mourned for Mars. We began practicing a holy art that would wrestle against the void. We sang enchantments beneath the full moon; we infused nature in our alchemy cauldrons. We sought to create, to nourish, to rejuvenate. We were the ambassadors to the sacred life that breathed in every part of Mother Earth. But the mortals of Salem were the

5 Books to Get Your Creativity Flowing!

Many people are curious how I became an indie author. Some ask because they want to join in on the fun; others are simply curious why I chose to self-publish rather than go the traditional route. Before I really begin, let me define what it means to be an indie author. There are two categories that people generally fall into. An indie author is someone 1. who publishes through an independent publisher (small publishing house as opposed to mainstream houses like Penguin or MacMillan), and 2. who self-publishes through services like Amazon KDP (Kindle Direct Publishing) or Ingram Spark. I fall into the second category where I have self-published through KDP. It is a very easy process and anyone can do it! (Caveat: due to the easy access, there are thousands upon thousands of books. If you think your book is quality level, then in order to stand out from the rest I recommend spending hours and hours on your cover if you can’t afford to pay someone. Obviously proofread and edit you

"I Can't Breathe": A Tribute

I can’t breathe. I buried my face into my mother’s shoulder. Her warmth gave me comfort, but the sounds outside the doors of my church chilled my blood. I could hear the chanting of the angry mob. I could smell the gasoline being thrown onto the building. A place of refuge against the horrors of hatred now became the crematory of the innocent. Smoke blackened the night sky, and the fires devoured all that was holy. My eyes watered. My flesh burned. I watched the figures of white cloaks lurk beyond the window, drinking in the sight of my brothers and sisters, mothers and fathers each succumbing to a death of hungry flames and unbridled hatred. Is this a dream? I can’t breathe. I grasped at the chains digging into my skin. My stomach lurched in rhythm to the mighty waves outside the ship. Death wafted all around me as my brothers lay in their own waste, one upon the other like a heap of rubbage. The strong hands of our captors hauled out the dead at my feet, mumbling under their breath a