Skip to main content

Don't be Bored



Prompt: “A gate left open, a bookshop, gold bars.”


What a boring night.
I was walking through the park when I got the text alert. Nothing big; just a sensor alarm at the bookshop. Despite the lasagna waiting for me in the fridge at home, I decided to check it out. I stuffed my phone back into my pocket and retraced my footsteps in the snow, pulling my scarf a bit tighter as a gust sliced through the icy evening.
I listened to the sound of my feet crunching the snow. A welcome disturbance to the chilling silence that cloaked the park. The moon hid behind the clouds which gathered together for another bout of flurries. The flickering of the street lamp alone lit my path.
Not that I needed it. The bookshop had been my home for quite some time ever since I inherited it from my uncle upon his passing. He had built this place from the ground up. He prided himself in that shamble of a store. Nevertheless, I kept it afloat for his sake.
Business only just started picking up with the holidays around the corner. People love to gift books. I love their money. Too bad there wasn’t enough of that flowing through the bookshop account. More people come to sit and read than to buy and leave.
I stopped my approach, voiding my mind of thoughtless thoughts. The gate was left open, granting free access from the main street to the winding path that led up to the front steps of the bookshop. But what made me stop wasn’t the gate; instea,d it was the discoloring of the disturbed snow.
Crimson. Splattered and trailing.
I took a step forward, peering beyond the gate to the front of the bookshop. The crunching of the snow underfoot no longer was a pleasant sound.More like an invitation for death.
With each echoing footfall, I neared the gate and inspected the blood. Steam still rose from the puddle. I inspected the way the blood had dripped into the snow, leading away from the bookshop towards the alley across the street.
I sprinted towards the front door, ajar from whatever altercation occurred here. I squeezed through, trying to keep it from squealing my presence. I shot the courtyard a final glance before sneaking my way to the office.
The hum of the central heating masked my panting as I approached the corridor leading into the back room, engulfed in darkness. I pulled out my keys and phone, but refrained from using the flashlight--the lock screen offered enough illumination, just in case my CSI skills of blood splatter patterns was off. I’m only on season 13.
The office door was open. Blood stained the post, dripping like wet paint down the frame.
My breathing thinned, and my heart tap-danced within me. Neither of which prepared me for the sheer panic that overcame me when I heard a groan escape from the depths of the office.
Curse my forensic detective work.
I shoved my phone into the front pocket of my jacket and jutted it outwards in an attempt to mimic a gun. I barged in, slapping at the light switch with my free hand.
Hunched in a heap with blood soaking the carpet sat my uncle. Confusion wrestled with horror, vying for spot as chief emotion that my brain would process.
He struggled to straighten up against the wall. He cupped his side and tried to clot his blood seeping from a stab wound. With his other hand he withdrew two gold bars and shuffled them towards me with his foot, grunting at the exertion.
“What’s going on? Where did you get this? I went to your funeral…” My voice trailed off from the cascading interrogation. He raised his hand to silence me and gestured towards the bars.
“Quick, take them and leave. I don’t care where you go, but run. Don’t stop until you are safe. Don’t come back here until the police come.” He began to cough up scarlet phlegm.
“The police are on the way. The alarm was triggered. They should be here any minute.”
“Listen!” His coarse whispered cut through the terrifying silence. “The men that did this to me are still here. Take these bars and run as fast as you can! Now!”
A noise from the doorway jolted me, thrusting me to snatch the gold bars from the feet of my dying uncle and catapulted me towards the window opposite the door. Shielding my eyes, I raised the bar against the glass, spraying shards everywhere. I hurdled through and bolted for the door.
Hellish shouting erupted from either side of me as I ripped open the door, stumbling down the steps. I felt a knife whiz past my ear, impaling a tree as I barreled by.
I’m not sure which came first, but flashes of blue blinded me; explosions of gunfire deafened me; frigid snow burned my face as I lurched forward onto the ground.
A pain throbbed in my shoulder.
I rolled over and scanned my surroundings with tunneled vision. My lungs refused to function as my body froze.
A hand jutted into my view. An officer helped me to my feet, offering muffled assurances that the intruders were no longer a threat.
I looked down to where I fell onto the gold bars. I patted my shoulder--no gun shot, just a bad bruise.
Breathe in. Breathe out.
What a boring night.

-(c) 2020 Kevin Barrick

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Books to Get Your Creativity Flowing!

Many people are curious how I became an indie author. Some ask because they want to join in on the fun; others are simply curious why I chose to self-publish rather than go the traditional route. Before I really begin, let me define what it means to be an indie author. There are two categories that people generally fall into. An indie author is someone 1. who publishes through an independent publisher (small publishing house as opposed to mainstream houses like Penguin or MacMillan), and 2. who self-publishes through services like Amazon KDP (Kindle Direct Publishing) or Ingram Spark. I fall into the second category where I have self-published through KDP. It is a very easy process and anyone can do it! (Caveat: due to the easy access, there are thousands upon thousands of books. If you think your book is quality level, then in order to stand out from the rest I recommend spending hours and hours on your cover if you can’t afford to pay someone. Obviously proofread and edit you

"I Can't Breathe": A Tribute

I can’t breathe. I buried my face into my mother’s shoulder. Her warmth gave me comfort, but the sounds outside the doors of my church chilled my blood. I could hear the chanting of the angry mob. I could smell the gasoline being thrown onto the building. A place of refuge against the horrors of hatred now became the crematory of the innocent. Smoke blackened the night sky, and the fires devoured all that was holy. My eyes watered. My flesh burned. I watched the figures of white cloaks lurk beyond the window, drinking in the sight of my brothers and sisters, mothers and fathers each succumbing to a death of hungry flames and unbridled hatred. Is this a dream? I can’t breathe. I grasped at the chains digging into my skin. My stomach lurched in rhythm to the mighty waves outside the ship. Death wafted all around me as my brothers lay in their own waste, one upon the other like a heap of rubbage. The strong hands of our captors hauled out the dead at my feet, mumbling under their breath a

A New Human

The sounds of the fracas were muffled against the panic swelling in her mind. The swarming mob surrounding her blurred into one motion as the captain punched in the code to the garbage chute. The space crew cornered her, pressing her into the small room, emptied clean since the last vacuum-drop. Despite the fact every noise on the space ship sounded like she was floating out there in the void, she could hear the jabs of their insults and the searing pain of their ridicule. She was the pariah of the ship. Somehow, her efforts for the sake of humanity were misconstrued as being crimes against humanity. And as such, her punishment was anything but lenient. The outrage snaked throughout the entire spacecraft, especially the Medical Bay. The chute doors closed in front of her, officially silencing the fray of the outcry that continued to rise opposite the glass panes. She placed a hand against the window, bracing herself as the sounds of a piercing alert reverberated against the b