Skip to main content

Day 8 - Marrying the Unknown

100 Day Writing Challenge
Day # 8
Prompt: “We were going to have to find a locksmith…”




The rhythm of the seductive slow dance pulled the strings as we swayed there in lockstep in the middle of the room. The entire wedding party danced in a circle around us as I held my newly-wed wife close. Her head rested against my shoulder, her fragrant aroma wafted around my face.

We had just met three months ago, but I knew from the moment my eyes caught a glimpse of the life behind her own. There was a mystery about her, but I loved mystery. Her smile was like a bolt of electricity to my heart, knocking it off rhythm. Her strength of spirit commandeered my soul and took it captive in her near-whimsical nature. She took her passions by the horns and followed wherever they may take her, even if she might not know the destination.

The slow dance ended abruptly to the upbeat rhythms of dub-step. My wife’s train-less wedding dress was her advantage as she sprung away from me up in a stylish, almost choreographed dance with the rest of the wedding party. The guests offered a cheer of surprise and support.

The gleaming smile on her face stole my heart all over again. Some may say three months is too short to know someone enough to get married, but when I look into her eyes I can see the life that she has lived and is living. Three months is more than enough for me. I know I want to spend the rest of my life with her.

The wedding reception faded into a dwindling few who lingered outside the hall by their cars beneath the flickering moth-plagued street lights. We spoke with my best friend from college for hours until they finally said their final farewell, beginning their long trek to return to their home across the ocean.

I sighed deeply, clutching her hand in my own. I couldn’t believe we were married. I smiled at her, “Come on. Let’s go home.”

We walked to the car, and I patted my empty pockets. “Do you have the keys?”

“No. I had to run in to open the reception hall for the caterer. You were the last one in the car.” She looked at me with a cheerful annoyance.

I jiggled the locked door and peered in. My disco ball keychain dangled from the ignition, mocking me. I groaned and reached for my cell phone. We were going to have to call a locksmith, but who knows when they’d be able to come out at this time of night.

“Don’t worry. I’ve got this.” She wriggled out a metal coat hanger from the bundle of a wedding dress in her arms. She shrugged off her dress into my arms and approached the driver’s side door. With a shimmy and a shake, a wriggle and a bump, the lock clicked, and she opened the door with a wink.

I stared at her. Where did she pick up that trick? And with such ease? Her eyes glinted a hue of mischief, but washed away in her usual delighted grin. “What’s wrong? Didn’t know I could do that, did you?”

No, actually, I didn’t. And for whatever reason, it worried me a bit. Not that she could shimmy a car lock, but the glimmer in her eyes of a life she once lived. She almost missed it. Almost regretted whatever life she abandoned to become the person she saw today. Who was she in her other life? Maybe three months isn’t enough to really know someone.

“Come on,” she said with a laugh. “Let’s go home.” She slipped into the driver’s seat, pressing the unlock button. She winked at me and turned the ignition.


- (c) Kevin Barrick

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Books to Get Your Creativity Flowing!

Many people are curious how I became an indie author. Some ask because they want to join in on the fun; others are simply curious why I chose to self-publish rather than go the traditional route. Before I really begin, let me define what it means to be an indie author. There are two categories that people generally fall into. An indie author is someone 1. who publishes through an independent publisher (small publishing house as opposed to mainstream houses like Penguin or MacMillan), and 2. who self-publishes through services like Amazon KDP (Kindle Direct Publishing) or Ingram Spark. I fall into the second category where I have self-published through KDP. It is a very easy process and anyone can do it! (Caveat: due to the easy access, there are thousands upon thousands of books. If you think your book is quality level, then in order to stand out from the rest I recommend spending hours and hours on your cover if you can’t afford to pay someone. Obviously proofread and edit you

"I Can't Breathe": A Tribute

I can’t breathe. I buried my face into my mother’s shoulder. Her warmth gave me comfort, but the sounds outside the doors of my church chilled my blood. I could hear the chanting of the angry mob. I could smell the gasoline being thrown onto the building. A place of refuge against the horrors of hatred now became the crematory of the innocent. Smoke blackened the night sky, and the fires devoured all that was holy. My eyes watered. My flesh burned. I watched the figures of white cloaks lurk beyond the window, drinking in the sight of my brothers and sisters, mothers and fathers each succumbing to a death of hungry flames and unbridled hatred. Is this a dream? I can’t breathe. I grasped at the chains digging into my skin. My stomach lurched in rhythm to the mighty waves outside the ship. Death wafted all around me as my brothers lay in their own waste, one upon the other like a heap of rubbage. The strong hands of our captors hauled out the dead at my feet, mumbling under their breath a

A New Human

The sounds of the fracas were muffled against the panic swelling in her mind. The swarming mob surrounding her blurred into one motion as the captain punched in the code to the garbage chute. The space crew cornered her, pressing her into the small room, emptied clean since the last vacuum-drop. Despite the fact every noise on the space ship sounded like she was floating out there in the void, she could hear the jabs of their insults and the searing pain of their ridicule. She was the pariah of the ship. Somehow, her efforts for the sake of humanity were misconstrued as being crimes against humanity. And as such, her punishment was anything but lenient. The outrage snaked throughout the entire spacecraft, especially the Medical Bay. The chute doors closed in front of her, officially silencing the fray of the outcry that continued to rise opposite the glass panes. She placed a hand against the window, bracing herself as the sounds of a piercing alert reverberated against the b